I have a very exciting update regarding the plant in the picture above!! My original blog, Invasive Weeds, talked about how this plant captured my attention, how I was told it is a ‘very invasive weed’ and how I need to get rid of it asap. My gut/intuition told me otherwise, and I’m so glad I listened to my gut/intuition!!
Through a forager friend I recently found out about a plant identification group on Facebook. I joined the group and was able to get an identification right away. I researched this plant and found out what I suspected… it DOES possess medicinal properties!!! YAY!!!
This plant’s common names are: Cat Greenbriar, Sawbrier, Whiteleaf Greenbrier Wild Sarsaparilla, Wild Sasparilla.
The plant is valuable to not only a variety of animals, but also to humans:
- The leaves and roots are edible.
- Roots can be boiled and made into a jelly or dried and ground into a powder and used when making bread.
- Young shoots in spring can be eaten either raw or cooked and are similar to asparagus in taste.
- Early American settlers would mix root pulp with molasses and parched corn and allow it to ferment in order to make a type of ‘root beer’
- Stem prickles have been rubbed on the skin as a counter-irritant to relieve localized pains and muscle cramps.
- The leaves and stems have been made into tea for the treatment of rheumatism and stomach problems.
- The wilted leaves have also been applied as a poultice to boils.
It took me TIME to learn the VALUE of this plant, but I’m soooo glad I took that TIME!!!
What other areas of our lives would we find great VALUE if only we took TIME to find it? What value do you put on YOURSELF?
Ever found an item just laying around your house that you had no clue what it was so tossed it out, only to find out it’s value AFTER it had been taken by the garbage truck? I have! One specific item was a part for my food processor.
I’ve seen the following posts going around social media that holds true to what I’m saying here:
- Learn to love what makes you unique and different. You were made with the exact ingredients needed to match the purpose you were created for. Source
- “We need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in.” Source: PTSD The War Within
- “If you see someone falling behind walk beside them. If you see someone being ignored, find a way to include them. If someone has been knocked down, lift them up. Always remind people of their worth. One small act could mean the world to them. Source: PTSD The War Within
There is another post I’ve seen but cannot find it right now.
An experiment I’ve seen also speaks to valuing others and how WORDS Matter. It’s the Love/Hate Rice Experiment. Do your words show others how valuable they are to you? I’ve been thinking about my words, as the last 6 years have been extremely hard for me emotionally and I know I’ve lashed out because of the hurt I was working to heal.
Where are you on this journey? Are there ‘invasive weeds’ you need to spend time learning the value of?
Thanks for reading!
My desire is to Inspire People. I want people when they meet me to say, “Because of You I did not give up!” I hope you
have been inspired through my journey!
You are FREE to Choose, but not free from the Consequences of your choices.
He who has an ear to hear, let him hear. I hope you are one who has ears to hear!
Until Next Time!
REMEMBER: The very best affirmations for me come in the form of witnessing the healing changes that come when people JOIN me on the journey of following the guidelines given to us by Yahweh – God our CREATOR rather than man and tastebuds! Deuteronomy 28 & Daniel 1:8
Victory Haven – Alternative Cancer Support & Assistance Group